International Breaking News

Venezuela to withdraw from OAS as deadly protests continue

Written by Gisele Alba

Venezuela says it will withdraw from the Organization of American States (OAS), accusing the US-based grouping of meddling in its internal affairs.

The government made the announcement after the OAS voted to hold a meeting of foreign ministers to discuss the spiralling crisis in Venezuela.

Neighbours have expressed concern at mounting unrest in the country.

Violent protests against the government continued in the capital Caracas on Wednesday, with one protester killed.

He was hit by a tear gas canister during clashes with police.

Nearly 30 people have been killed since the wave of protests against President Nicolas Maduro began last month.

The Venezuelan government has accused the US of trying to undermine Mr Maduro’s Socialist Party.

On Wednesday, Ms Rodriguez said the protests were part of an organised effort to defeat Venezuela’s Bolivarian Revolution.

Tomorrow [Thursday] we will present a letter of complaint to the OAS and we will begin a process that will take 24 months,” she announced in a televised statement.

 

About the author

Gisele Alba

Please wait...

Subscribe to our site and be Informed!

Want to be notified when our article is published? Enter your email address and name below to be the first to know.