21-year-old Alexander Mackey from Devon, who said he had drunk seven cans of lager at the time, swallowed the fish after his friend won it in a game at the Goose Fair in October 2015.
He was filmed as he dropped the live fish into his mouth, and hater opened his mouth to show that he had really downed it.
The video was posted on a friend’s Facebook account few days later, and a complaint was made to the Royal Society for the Prevention of Cruelty to Animals [RSPCA].
Alexander Mackay, from Devon, was arrested and pleaded guilty yesterday to a charge under the Animal Welfare Act 2006 of not meeting the needs of and causing unnecessary suffering to a goldfish by swallowing it.
Lindi Meyer, representing the RSPCA, told Plymouth magistrates court: “The fish was taken out of the water bag and was seen to wriggle in pain.”
According to veterinary doctor’s report presented during the hearing, the animal had been ‘distressed’ after being taken out of the water, evident by its wriggling around. The report confirmed that it died in his stomach as a result of a lack of oxygen.
“Obviously swallowing live goldfish will lead to suffering and harm,” the report read.
Ms. Meyer added: “The actions were filmed and was put on Facebook. As a result of the posting the RSPCA got involved after a complaint.”
“He said it did not cross his mind at the time and he would not have done it if he was sober and he was sorry.”
The court heard an aggravating feature was that it was an alcohol-induced group activity where he was “showing off to mates” after drinking, but he was given credit for his early guilty plea.
Mackay was ordered to pay a fine and costs totalling £752 and banned from keeping fish for five years.