The list of absentees is likely to lengthen in the lair of the indomitable Lions for the AFCON 2017.
The name of striker Eric-Maxime Choupo-Moting could be added to the first list of the seven preselected who had declared last month their unavailability for the Gabonese expedition. The defender of Schalke O4 in Germany sent a letter to the Cameroonian Football Federation to announce his unavailability.
“It was Saturday that his letter reached the Cameroonian football federation. We have been able to read a few excerpts from this letter. The player announces in substance that he will not be in Gabon for the AFCON. He explains his decision to be absent because of the frustrations he has suffered since the arrival of coach Hugo Broos at the head of the Indomitable Lions, “says our colleague Boney Philippe.
Since the recruitment in February 2016 of the technician Hugo Broos, Choupo-Moting lost his status of titular and first vice-captain in national selection. The latter who is nevertheless performing with the indomitable Lions specifies that he does not completely close the door to the national team. “He says he is available for the national flag after the African Cup of Nations and after he flattened his grievances against the management of the national team,” adds Boney Philippe.
However, the Cameroonian sports authorities have not yet made a cross on the presence of Choupo in Gabon. They organize themselves to open negotiations with the player. The latter also did not hide his availability to discuss the conditions of his return to selection. It is therefore not excluded that he will return to his position before the start of the 21st AFCON in Libreville.
By Otric NGON in CIN