The 4th ceremony took place on the evening of Thursday, December 8, 2016 in the room called “Place Saint-David”, in Douala.
The verdict of the 4th “Balafon Music Awards” fell. 20 trophies were awarded on the evening of December 8, 2016 in the room dubbed “Place Saint-David” in Douala. 12 artists in competition and 8 rewarded for the honor have received their laurels. The winners of the most prominent categories are X-Maleya, Lady Ponce, Mr. Leo and Daphne.
Besides the award for best featuring she won for a duet with Ben Decca, Daphne was voted “Female Voice of the Year“. Mr. Leo also leaves with two trophies. That of the best male voice and the song of the year (“On va gérer“).
Like the previous artists mentioned, the X-Maleya group achieved the double. They take the Balafon of the male artist of the year and the Balafon of the album of the year (Playlist). Lady Ponce is elected Female Artist of the Year.
As for the “Balafon d’honneur“, initiated to celebrate the stars of the Cameroonian music, they return to Aladji Touré (Instrumentist), Sissy Dipoko (Artist musician), Jean Dikoto Mandengué (Instrumentist) and Dina Bell (Artist musician). The “Balafon Spécial” awarded to the patrons involved in the production and promotion of Cameroonian music is awarded to Salatiel (Alpha Better Records), Jacques Logmo (journalist-animator of CRTV FM 105 Douala), Alain Noumsi (Producer and distributor of music, ex-MC Pop Music) and Foly Dirane (retired animator-presenter of CRTV ).
The Balafon Music Awards are an annual musical award ceremony organized by the Balafon Group’s event agency. “It is gaining momentum over the years,” said Cyrille Bojiko, chairman of the Organizing Committee. This year, 12 categories were competing. It was the artists whose works marked the musical sphere from 1 January to 30 September 2016. Voters voted on the site radiobalafon.net.
Here is the complete list of the Balafon Music Awards 2016.
- Sacred Music Artist of the Year = Lab’l
- Traditional Music Artist of the Year = Soumi
- Female Revelation of the Year = Blanche Bailly
- Masculine Revelation of the Year = Locko
- Best Featuring of the Year = Daphne/Ben Decca
- Video clip of the year = The Sauce (Reniss)
- Female Voice of the Year = Daphne
- Masculine Voice of the Year = Mr Leo
- Song of the Year = On va gérer (Mr Leo)
- Album of the Year = Playlist (X-Maleya)
- Female Artist of the Year = Lady Ponce
- Male Artist of the Year = X-Maleya
“Balafon d’Honneur”: to celebrate the Cameroonian stars of music, among which:
- Aladji Touré (Instrumentist)
- Sisi Dipoko (Musical artist)
- Jean Dikoto Mandengué (Performer)
- Dina Bell (Musical artist)
“Balafon Spécial”: awarded to the patrons of the production and promotion of Cameroonian music. It is:
- Salatiel (Alpha Better Records)
- Jacques Logmo (CRTV FM 105 Douala)
- Alain Noumsi (Producer and distributor of music, ex-MC Pop Music)
- Foly Dirane (CRTV Yaounde – retired)