At least three organizations call for the respect and protection of human rights in the fight against the terrorist nebula.
In a letter to the President of the Republic of Cameroon, the Network of Human Rights Defenders in Central Africa (REDHAC) denounces the barbarity, inhumanity, injustice and other abuses recorded in the fight against Boko Haram, says Le Messager of Tuesday, November 29, 2016.
Indeed, reminds the CSOs, in 2014, during the operations of raking and closures of the cities of the Region of the Far North by the armed forces of Cameroon, at least 50 people had been killed, asphyxiated in the room in which They had been locked up. 25 others died in the Maroua gendarmerie. Also, the identity of the 25 people who died in the gendarmerie legion was not communicated to the families, much less the causes of their deaths and the place of their burial, among others.
According to the 2016 report of Amnisty International of 2016, on 19 November 2014, the Cameroonian army carried out searches and arrests following accusations that Bornori village would house a training camp of Boko Haram. The operation had resulted in at least 7 unlawful killings and torture, the paper said.
In view of all the obstacles to the respect of human rights in the fight against Boko Haram, the CSO authors of the letter to Paul Biya wish to set up an independent investigation, To make light in the cases previously mentioned.
In addition, “there should be clear and official guidelines to ensure that there is no ambiguity about the need to respect fundamental rights and freedoms in both wartime and peacetime. It is therefore unacceptable that Cameroon, under the pretext of the fight against Boko Haram, inexorably slips from the presumption of innocence, to that of guilt, ” says the paper.